Introduction to: Art in the Photographic Medium
The aim of this section of the workshop is to explore photography as an artistic medium.
"Black September Palestinian Terrorists Murder Members of the Israeli Olympic Team at their Quarters at the Munich Olympic Village."
It is sometimes said that a great photograph requires good luck!
- You make your own luck by:
- Being at the right place
- At the right time
- With the right equipment
- That is a great photograph need some level of planning!
- I would Like to Add One More Point to making Your Own Luck
The Right Knowledge
Are there any universal rules that apply to all good photographs?
What makes a great photograph?
A great photograph has a theme
- It may tell a story
- It may communicate an idea
- It may express an emotion
- Photography as an art must have universality, ie it should be meaningful to people everywhere.
A great photograph focuses attention on the most important element that express the theme.
A great photograph simplifies. Only include those elements that are important to the theme, and exclude or diminish the importance of elements that distract from the theme,
- “Unified thought” or a “unified harmonious whole” meaning that all the elements of the photograph work together
- Focuses Attention and Simplifies
- These are two parts of the same thing
- For the beginner, simplicity is necessary. The simpler the composition the more likely the photographer is to maintain control and direct the viewers attention to the important elements.
- Don’t leave it up to the viewer to decide what is important.
John Doody Photography Training